The soundtrack of...
The result of the first leg of the semi-final between Real Madrid and F.C. Barcelona for a place in the Champions League final in Wembley stadium has made it rather difficult for the white team to reach its goal: the 0-2 at the Bernabéu will be hard to equal at Camp Nou. But, as the Adidas commercial says, “impossible is nothing”, so they have to try (although CR7 is a Nike man). For Real Madrid, any added stimulant will be good, and music can be it. In this balancing list –after the one we made about Pep Guardiola last Wednesday– we focus on the big star of the Madrid team, Cristiano Ronaldo, a footballer who has never hidden his taste in fashion, trends and music. His taste is not very indie –ballads, R&B, bossa nova– and his team mates don’t really help (believe us, you wouldn’t want to see Sergio Ramos’ list here). Then again, we might have loads of Animal Collective records, but we haven’t got his six-pack. The moral of the story: nobody’s perfect.
1. R. Kelly: “I Believe I Can Fly”
CR has said on many occasions that this is his favourite song. Maybe that’s why many ladies say he’s got a conquering character with great sex appeal, as is a clue to how he appears with ravishing girlfriends like Irina Shayk, who accompanied him last Saturday when his team played Zaragoza.
2. Elton John: “Rocketman” One of his favourite singers is Elton John. Elton always is everywhere –honourable guest at William and Kate’s wedding, along with another football star, David Beckham, and even though there always is a great deal of kitsch involved these days, you have to admit Elton’s written some pretty great songs, the ones he composed alongside Bernie Taupin. Here’s “Rocketman”, because of CR’s supersonic speed.
3. Sade: “Smooth Operator”
The man likes his romantic tunes, and like every sensitive soul, he likes Sade. Who doesn’t? Sade, who’s now more in the spotlights than ever –a hits & rarities compilation is about to be released– with one of her big classics.
4. Ricky Martin: “Livin’ La Vida Loca”
The first controversial moment on the list: yes, CR likes RM. Or he did. In his years as a forward at Manchester United, he confessed that songs like “Livin’ La Vida Loca” were on his iPod, much to the hilarity of his team mates. Will they still be there?
5. Phil Collins: “In The Air Tonight”
Phil Collins was one of the favourite artists of Patrick Bateman, the protagonist of Bret Easton Ellis’ “American Psycho”. There are several pages in the book dedicated to praising Collins as a drummer and producer. CR is no serial killer (only in the area of his rivals on the pitch), but he shares Bateman’s taste for Collins.
6. Caetano Veloso: “Fina Estampa”
CR is Portuguese and he likes Brazilian music. It’s logical. Bossa nova, tropicalia, samba: anything tropical and hot has a place in his life. Of course he knows good from bad, and you shouldn’t be surprised to find Caetano Veloso’s CDs in his living room. And if not, here’s “Fina Estampa”, because we’re sure that’s what a lot of ladies are thinking.
7. The Prodigy: “Smack My Bitch Up”
Word has it The Prodigy was part of the official dressing room soundtrack at Man United, which is why the team comes on the pitch like a group of bulls ready to eat the grass. So here’s one of their anthems to verify how the blood begins to boil.
8. Gypsy Kings: “Allegria” We made a reference to Sergio Ramos and his terrible taste in music earlier. Gypsy Kings are one of those “tastes” and this is the song he uses to torture his team mates, soundtracking the wait before each game with some truly tacky material. So this is the kind of musical atrocity CR has to experience before stepping onto the pitch.
9. George Michael: “Faith”
0-2 behind before they even begin, at Camp Nou and against a Barcelona that will step up extremely motivated and 100% focussed. Real Madrid will have a hard time trying to get to Wembley. But as faith is the last thing one loses, here’s another one of CR’s pop idols for the Madrid fans and their star: “a little bit of faith.”
10. Cristiano Ronaldo: “Amor Mío”
A good year ago, CR was featured in an ad campaign by a bank that sponsor him, Espirito Santo from Portugal, and he was singing in it. The Portuguese star did a version of a love ballad, this “Amor Mío”, sung in true Enrique Iglesias fashion (rather bad, in other words), without auto-tune and grimacing from the effort. Today the second leg of the semi-final of the Champions League between Barcelona and Real Madrid is played. While we had a Barça list last week, today we feature a Madrid one inspired by its biggest star, Cristiano Ronaldo, famous fan of Sade and Phil Collins.