Serge Gainsbourg put out his last cigarette twenty years ago. Since then, no French artist has been able to match the genius bastard who revolutionised French pop. His daughter, Charlotte Gainsbourg, fruit of his relationship with the marvellous Jane Birkin, has taken over the mic and she even plays “Couleur Café” live. But before her, other artists have paid tribute to the legend, doing their versions of some of his classics. Here are ten of them.
1. Asa: “Ces Petits Riens”
2. Beirut: “La Javanaise” 3. Arcade Fire: “Poupée De Cire, Poupée De Son”
4. Michael Stipe: “L’Hotel Particulier”
5. PJ Harvey & Mick Harvey: “Harley Davidson”
6. Blonde Redhead: “Slogan”
7. Elysian Fields: “Les Amour Perdues”
8. Tame Impala: “Bonnie And Clyde”
9. Portishead: “Requiem For Anna”
10. Charlotte Gainsbourg: “Couleur Café”
Serge Gainsbourg's memory lives on, not only in his daughter but also in the cover versions by many underground artists. Here are a few of them.